Have your say on Yarra's proposed budget 2020/21
Thursday 21 May 2020
You're invited to view and make a submission to Yarra's proposed budget 2020/21.
In the midst of coronavirus (COVID-19), we’ve worked hard to develop a proposed budget that continues to deliver the essential services our community needs, while also supporting you through the pandemic and into the recovery phase.
Thank you to everyone who shared their fantastic ideas and priorities with us during the first phase of community engagement in late-2019.
While COVID-19 has greatly shifted some of our priorities, your valued feedback has still shaped our proposed budget. You'll also still see a range of significant improvements across Yarra this year.
Proposed budget - at a glance
- $197.36 million of total operating expenditure
- $30.54 million for capital works projects and other new initiatives
- $190.90 rate rebate for pensioners (in addition to the Victorian Government rebate)
- 2% increase in general rate revenue (in line with the Victorian Government rate cap)
Highlights of the proposed budget
- $9.23 million to renew our footpaths and roads and keep pedestrians and motorists safe.
- $8.08 million to bring important community facilities up to modern and safe standards. This includes $2 million for the new Jack Dyer Pavilion at Citizens Park, Richmond.
- $1.2 million for upgrades to Richmond Kindergarten.
- $845,000 to reconstruct some of Yarra’s much-loved bluestone laneways.
- $800,000 for a new 1.2 million litre rainwater storage tank at Edinburgh Gardens.
- $620,000 for new library resources to educate and inspire residents of all ages.
- $600,000 to complete the pavilion and public toilet redevelopment at Ryan’s Reserve.
- $555,000 for improvements at Clifton Hill's Darling Gardens.
- $500,000 to progress planning and design of the Brunswick Street Oval Precinct.
- $135,000 towards a new small local park at Reid Street, North Fitzroy.
Have your say
With physical distancing restrictions in place, we’re offering some new ways for you to find out more about the proposed budget.
While we’re not able to hold in-person information sessions, you can ask us questions online or by phone.
Submissions must be received by 5pm on Friday 19 June 2020.
Learn more about the proposed budget and ask us any questions at Your Say Yarra.
Yarra City Council, PO Box 168, Richmond VIC 3121
If you have questions and prefer to talk to someone, call us on 9205 5555.
Speak to your submission
Our Council Meetings are being held virtually during COVID-19. So you can participate, we’re live streaming the Special Council Meeting at 7pm on Thursday 16 July 2020, where we’ll hear submissions to the proposed budget.
If you would like to speak to your submission (or have someone speak on your behalf), register your intention when making your submission.
The final budget is expected to be adopted, with or without changes, at a Council Meeting on Tuesday 4 August 2020.