Enter the Ewing Trust writers' prize - Poetry Edition
Monday 11 January 2021
The Ewing Trust and Yarra Libraries is proud to announce the Ewing Trust writers' prize – Poetry Edition.
Aimed at encouraging and celebrating new, emerging and undiscovered poets with ties to Fitzroy - the competition is now open for entries from unpublished poets with a demonstrable connection to Fitzroy through living, working, learning or writing.
Entries can be submitted in English or Chinese language categories, and the winner of each respective category will win a $500 prize. The competition is open until Monday, March 8 at 11:59pm, so get writing and send us your poem!
Enter your poem via our online submission form and see below for submission guidelines and full terms and conditions.
This competition is bought to you by The Thomas, Samuel and George Ewing Trust - a fund that fosters literacy, libraries, and a lifelong love of learning in the historic Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy.
Fitzroy Library is fortunate to have the continued support of the Ewing Trust endowment that allows for the development and presentation of a range of events and projects for the benefit of Fitzroy residents and visitors.
- 1000 words or less
- 12 point double spaced lettering
- Only one poem per applicant please
- PDF only
- A Google account is required to upload, or alternately email your submission directly to email@example.com
- Please DO NOT put your name on the actual piece – just add your name to the submission form. This will allow our judges to assess the piece solely on its merits
For more information or advice on alternate submission methods, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition terms and conditions
- Submissions are via the online submission form listed above (a Google account is required), or via direct email to email@example.com
submissions close on Monday 8 March 2021 at 11:59pm
- Prize winners will be notified on, or after Monday 8 March 2021 via a phone call and/or email. Only winners will be notified
- The winning writers (and other applicants) will be invited to record a podcast reading their submission, but are not obliged to
the prize is not open to employees of Yarra City Council
- Applicants must have a demonstrable connection to the suburb of Fitzroy, upon request
- for the purposes of the competition an ‘unpublished poet’ will be considered a poet who has not previously published poetry by a recognised publisher. Self-published poets may apply, if the work is deemed to have sold less than 500 copies. Authors whose works have appeared in journals are eligible to enter
- Entrants may only submit one piece of work per entry category in this competition which has not been published previously, excepted as specified above
- The judges’ decision is final; no correspondence will be entered into
- Entrants agree to participate and cooperate as required in promotional activities relating to the competition, including but not limited to, being interviewed and photographed
- Yarra City Council reserves the right to reproduce the whole or any part of an entry for purposes of promoting the Ewing Trust Writers’ Prize. By submitting an entry, you grant Yarra City Council permission to display or publish the entry including the entrant’s name, on the promoter’s website, promote the Ewing Trust Writers’ Prize in any way determined by Yarra Council and to use any promotional footage and photographs in all media worldwide without fee. Copyright of the poem remains with the author