We welcome suggestions for items that are not already part of Yarra Libraries' collection.
To suggest an item for our collection, visit our catalogue and click on 'Send a Request' at the top of the page. You must be logged in to do this.
Before you request an item, please read our guidelines below.
Your suggestion will be evaluated against the selection criteria in our Collection Development Policy.
- Items published in the last 2 years
- Items to the value of $55 for Fiction and $75 for Non Fiction
- Item is in print and readily available from our library suppliers
- Age and currency
- Quality and format
Materials we generally do not acquire:
- Textbooks (school or university, technical or professional)
- Materials only available in inappropriate formats (e.g. mini-books, spiral binding, etc.).
- Unclassified films or items prohibited by law (e.g. pornography).
- Items due for publication or release more than 3 months in advance.
If you are looking for a novel and it is not found in our catalogue please check the list of adult fiction authors in our standing order lists:
The library automatically receives new copies of work from the authors in these lists. You do not need to suggest a purchase for them and can place a hold on the item as soon as it appears in the catalogue.
The Library reserves the right to make final decisions based on professional judgement, cost, relevance and potential use of any suggested materials.
If a suggested item is selected, a hold (reservation) will be placed on your library membership on your behalf.
Most items are acquired within a 3 month timeframe, but some may take longer, dependent on availability.
If an item is not selected for acquisition, a message will be added to your library membership communicating this information.
If the item is more than 2 years old or falls outside our Collection Development Policy, please check LibraryLink as we may be able to obtain it through our Inter-Library Loan service. Fees may apply.